Exoneration of the innocent is important – this step to appoint an independent panel to review criminal cases is a good first step as long as this panel includes private citizens as well as the elected political players.
I believe it is also necessary to form an independent panel of oversight to the coroner and medical examiner offices to examine cases that are in dispute, or where a suspicious death has never been investigated.
- Despite Evidence From Discredited Medical Examiner, Mississippi Man Nears Execution (justiceforraymond.wordpress.com)
- Medical examiner calls system ‘broken’ (calgaryherald.com)
- Calgary pathologist made mistakes in 13 files, including some criminal cases (theglobeandmail.com)
- Medical Examiners And Coroners Do Have a Duty, Right?? (mamatattoo.com)
- Despite Evidence From Discredited Medical Examiner, Mississippi’s Jeffrey Havard Nears Execution (huffingtonpost.com)
- How Innocence Puts Innocents At Risk (washingtonmonthly.com)
- Medical Examiner Mistake Could Threaten Thousand of DUI Cases (browardnetonline.com)
- Medical examiner opposes ordinance on police-custody deaths (jsonline.com)
- Expert panel finds former Calgary forensic pathologist reached ‘unreasonable’ conclusions (calgaryherald.com)
On his first day in office after being sworn in, new Lake County State’s Attorney
announced the members he is appointing to an independent Case Review Panel in Lake County who will be authorized to review criminal cases where there is a question about the wrongful conviction of the innocent, identify the causes of wrongful convictions, and recommend protocols for investigating and prosecuting criminal cases going forward.
“I have invited a talented group of legal professionals to tackle this important issue who bring a balance of experience including from outside of Lake County and who have been vetted for independence,” Nerheim said Monday. “This voluntary Case Review Panel will provide a fresh, unbiased perspective at no additional cost to taxpayers.”
The panel is comprised of individuals with a diverse background of experience, including from outside of Lake County, who will look at cases in question and…
View original post 178 more words